1. I got a new Van Gogh calendar in our Christmas Eve neighborhood Yankee Swap. I knew I needed a calendar and was determined not to get taken in by pretty wrapping and end up with something I couldn’t use, so I stole (part of the rules) from someone else for the first time.
2. It changed hands more than once, got taken from me, and then Joe got it back. Later, my daughter-in-law told me she brought it and that she would have just given it to me for Christmas if she knew I liked Van Gogh so much. “Yeah, but it was so much more fun to work for it,” I responded.
4. One good thing about coming down with a nasty cold is that you see how productive you were before the cold when you didn’t think you were being productive at all.
5. I think Van Gogh’s postman looked like Captain Fred from Yellow Submarine.
6. I’m looking forward to seeing the Yoko Ono Imagine Peace show Featuring John & Yoko’s Year of Peace at the Taubman Museum with friends this weekend. I got the above photo off the Yoko Ono Imagine Peace Facebook page.
7. Read a 2005 blog post about how Yoko Ono was an influence in finding my voice HERE.
8. On my 60th birthday I had dinner with a man who was at John Lennon and Yoko Ono’s Bed-in for Peace. The Bed-in was a honeymoon performance art event that gave birth to the song Give Peace a Chance.
9. I can never write, type, or say “number 9” without thinking of the Beatles song of the same name.
10. Today, I’m having my own kind of bed-in (see #4).
11. It turns out that Van Gogh painted more than one portrait of the same postman and in the other ones he painted flowers in the background, like THIS, which I would be happy to look at for a month.
12. See my 2011 Halloween costume “I’m a little bit Yoko Ono and a little Bride of Frankenstein HERE.
13. I’m kind of jaded and rarely say “Peace on Earth Goodwill to Men” anymore at Christmastime, but I still frequently quote Elvis Costello: “What’s so Funny Bout Peace Love and Understanding?”
Last minute bonus: Watch my 5 year-old grandson perform Yellow Submarine on the piano while his 3 year old brother dances HERE.