1. On the last Saturday Night Live, Seth Meyers gave his take on Repubican Senator Ted Cruz’s 21-hour talk-a-thon last week protesting the Affordable Care Act: “Cause you know the old saying, if you can’t beat them, kick the ball into the woods.”
2. “When the Giants lost, they didn’t shut down the NFL!” ~ Jon Stewart on the government shut down.
3. Personally, I’m pretty excited about breaking up the insurance company monopolies, being able to shop for affordable health insurance options, not having to pay as much as a house mortgage for it and not having my rates be raised because of pre-existing conditions.
4. While on a walk with my 3 year old grandson Liam last week, he excitedly pointed out the quarter moon in the sky and told me that a plane had cut it in half.
5. I have to wonder who he takes after. I’ve written hundreds of poems about the moon and its phases, like this one called Overboard: Capsized moon / stranded in a blue sea / floats like a buoy / from the deep end of the day.
6. Grasshoppers hopscotch / Crickets crisscross / Petal skirts flirt / and bees do what they please. Read the rest of the poem HERE.
7. I used the word hopscotch on Tuesday when I was guest teaching a Language Arts Project class at Blue Mountain High School and played a word association game with the students. I also used “jump rope” when I told the kids that my love of language was first awakened by jump rope songs and the nursery rhymes my father taught me.
8. Yesterday I had to time my nude sunbathing before the arrival of the firewood delivery man.
9. Cricket or grasshopper, alligator or crocodile, water lily or lotus, fiddle or violin? It’s hard to tell the difference.
10. Sometimes when I’m home writing for days at a time, I stumble upon and tap into an archetypal place. Drawing from the well where storytellers, fairy characters, and creation myths live, I feel protected as a part of something larger. But often there’s a “disconnect” between what happens in that world and the personal me I have to inhabit to socialize and grocery shop.
11. I wonder why we have 3 alphabet letters – K, C, and Q – that make the same sound.
12. Those Stink Bugs are back. Let’s find out what their kryptonite is.
13. Always let your conscience be your guide. ~ Jiminy Cricket