1. It’s so right that the word zing is part of amazing.
2. I’m glad I live in a place where smoke comes out of chimneys.
3. That comment and the picture above got 40 likes on Facebook.
4. As a girl, I always held out hope that I would hear the nightingale’s song in the woods. I guarded myself against adults who could have been the Snow Queen in disguise. Whenever I went out walking, I had the urge to drop bread crumbs to mark the way. Rhymes like Hey Diddle Diddle the cat and the Fiddle fostered an early love of sound and world play.
5. Encourage is to elicit courage.
6. Fairytales and nursery rhymes gave me access into an inner life. They provided a context of meaning for the mysteries in life. Themes played out in fairytales – fate, survival, temptation, loss, courage, fear, and perseverance – are all the ingredients that make for good storytelling. Storytelling gives insight into the underpinnings of life.
7. Is awesome the opposite of awful?
8. The Boy Scouts of America still teaches smoke signaling, telling their scouts to send an emergency signal of three puffs of smoke to indicate that they’re in trouble in the wilderness. And the Vatican has used smoke to signal the election of a new pope since the late 1870s.
9. Yodeling is also a way to communicate across distances, as explained by my friend Starroot at this year’s Floyd Oktoberfest HERE.
10. Best Halloween costume dance start time seen this week: Musicians become active after sundown.
11. Floyd: The Hollywood of the Blue Ridge. After working on his second independent film shot in Floyd, that’s what Floyd Countian Jason Gallimore calls it. The new film is called Geographically Desirable and is about career woman from the city who comes to Floyd after inheriting her uncle’s house and a dog. From what I could tell, she meets some artist types, falls in love with Floyd, and hits it off with the owner of Oddfella’s (an actor, not Kerry Underwood). Sounds like a real Floyd story to me. More HERE.
12. When my 3 year old grandson Liam says ‘Nanny Nanny Boo Boo,’ I say ‘Lee Lee Lou Lou back to him.’
13. Watch Liam and I escape the attack of the ghost leaf HERE.