1. I don’t like it when people precede their sentences with the word “Look,” unless, of course, it’s my 2 year old grandson Liam.
2. Carolyn Kennedy lost her chance to run for Hillary Clinton’s Senate seat in 2008 largely because she came across poorly in interviews, using the term “you know,” 12 times in less than a minute.
3. Roger Ulrich demonstrated the power of having a connection with nature in his classic 1984 study with patients recovering from surgery in a suburban Pennsylvania hospital. He manipulated the view from the convalescents’ windows so that half were able to gaze at nature while the others saw only a brick wall. Those with trees outside their window recovered faster, and requested fewer pain medications, than those with a brick view. ~ From When Trees Die, People Die HERE.
4. More dumb than trying to classify ketchup as a vegetable or taking down the solar panels that Jimmy Carter put up on the White House: “Trees, how many of ’em do we need to look at?” Ronald Reagan
5. My four-year-old grandson Bryce is so sweet that he had to look away and hide his eyes when we were watching a nursery rhyme on youtube and the farmers wife cut of the tails of the three blind mice.
6. Yesterday, while in the middle of getting my teeth cleaned, the hygienist asked if I was okay. “I’m mentally shopping for shoes,” I answered.
7. “Now is the time to confront the conspiracy of silence on climate change. It is time for complacency to yield to common sense, and narrow interests to bend to the common good. Future generations are counting on us. We all herald our mothers and fathers’ “Greatest Generation.” But we should also ask what our kids will say about our generation if we don’t wake up to reality.” ~ John Kerry
8. A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in. Greek Proverb
9. “I do not believe that just because you’re opposed to abortion, that that makes you pro-life. In fact, I think in many cases, your morality is deeply lacking if all you want is a child born but not a child fed, not a child educated, not a child housed. And why would I think that you don’t? Because you don’t want any tax money to go there. That’s not pro-life. That’s pro-birth. We need a much broader conversation on what the morality of pro-life is.” ~ Sister Joan Chittister, a Benedictine nun
10. I could care less if Beyonce lip synced that national anthem at Obama’s inauguration.
11. I did care about Gabby Giffords’ statement at a hearing on gun violence yesterday HERE.
12. When my son Dylan was 6 years old he said, “If they come and say you have to go to war, I’ll say ‘why don’t you?’”
13. His brother Josh said “I wish war was extinct, like the dinosaur age.”