2. On June 30, it was reported that we all received a free second, known as a leap second, a one-second adjustment that is sometimes applied to Coordinated Universal Time in order to keep its time of day close to mean solar time.
3. My Dharmacratic friend Will calls months moonths. Makes sense since the 12 months of the yearly calendar are based on the moon’s 29 day cycle.
4. The epitome of summer has already happened: A circle of Sufi dancing with friends in a field under the full moon, with a pot luck of fresh fruit cobblers and fresh veggies from county gardens in honor of our friends Mark and Sumati’s wedding.
5. My very first 911 call went something like this: My riding lawnmower is on fire! I’m afraid it might explode when the flames reach the gas tank! See what happened next HERE.
6. If you had to choose, would you rather be called a witch or a bitch and what’s the difference?
7. If writers wrote as carelessly as some people talk, then adhasdh asdglaseuy 9bn)pasdlgkhasfasdf. (Seen on Facebook.)
8. On June 29, we experienced a derecho, an unexpected gusting of more than 80 miles an hour. It took down trees and power lines, knocked my angel of her birdbath pedestal and made my corn lie flat. More HERE.
9. According to wikipedia, a derecho is a widespread and long-lived convection-induced straight-line windstorm that is associated with a fast-moving band of severe thunderstorms in the form of a squall line usually taking the form of a bow echo. Derechos blow in the direction of movement of their associated storms, similar to a gust front, except that the wind is sustained and generally increases in strength behind the “gust” front. A warm weather phenomenon, derechos occur mostly in summer, especially June and July in the Northern Hemisphere. They can occur at any time of the year and occur as frequently at night as in the daylight hours.
10. 1.6 billion people — a quarter of the world’s population —live without electricity everyday.
11. I googled window quotes looking for an inspiring quote like “art is the window of the soul,” but instead I got this: Let us save you time and money with local factory sales costs for bay windows.
12. After the fireworks with my lawn mower we went to the real fireworks and saw golden parachutes, Liberace’s candelabra, Mary Poppins red umbrella, the Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test and more.