1. I recently drove by my brother Jimmy’s house here in Hull (He died in 2001.), admiring the landscaping in his front yard and wondering which shrubs were the ones he planted the spring before he died. There was no forewarning of his death, but Jim had a fatalistic personality and I remember him telling me about the shrubs and saying, “I don’t even know why I’m planting them.”
2. On father’s Day morning I discovered a magnet photo of my dad had fallen off the fridge and onto the kitchen floor. I picked it up carried it around in my pocket all day.
3. Grief is like a wound bleeding out. If you close it up too quickly, it’s more prone to infection.
4. I washed my mother’s hair for the first time today, remembering all the times she washed mine when I was a child and how much I complained that she was hurting me because she scrubbed so hard.
5. While taking pictures of unaware people walking the beach I began to wonder if shooting someone from behind with the camera is cowardly, the way shooting someone in the back is.
6. Shutter Island (filmed in part on Peddocks Island, about a mile from the house I grew up in) was such a spooky thriller that they could have named it Shudder Island.
7. Now I feel right at home. It’s a week and a half into my stay with my mother and I’ve already ruined one tea kettle and burned one pan.
8. Those who know me know I have what I call “stove dyslexia” (turning the wrong burners on and cooking empty pans). I even owned up to not being a “wifely find” and to burning pots for the love of poetry in my wedding vows.
9. Notable Quotable: treating poems like lego. but ouch, mustn’t scatter on the floor. ~ Pearl Pirie.
10. Church sign posted on Facebook: Honk if you love Jesus. Text while driving if you want to meet him.
11. Out of the eleven kids in my father’s family and the nine kids in our family, my brother Joey is the only one who had a son who had a son to carry on the Redman family name.. He walks on his toes like THIS.
12. Every night near sunset, after my mother has gone to bed, I walk out of the house and ask, “heads or tails?” Will it be a walk at the ocean or sunset at the bay?
13. The most fun I’ve had online all week is HERE.
More 13 Thursday fishing HERE.